Yet Another Experiment

Yesterday (Sunday) I was itching to try HP soapmaking. That's where you bring your soap to trace as usual but instead of pouring into your mold, you continue cooking it until all the oils saponify right there in the pot. Basically you shave a good 4 weeks off of cure time. Talk about instant gratification! I made 1 batch of plain unscented and I "think" it was successful but I won't know for sure until another day or so. They feel softer than I imagined they would and I'm not sure if that's normal or not, so I'm hoping they'll harden up over the next couple of days. They're not the prettiest things but in a pinch, they'll do.


Being the mad scientist that I am, I decided that since I was already on a roll with this HP thing, I'd try to create two more soap cakes using this method. That would be HP Rebatching. I did try searching on how best to do it but gave up after a few minutes due to impatience. I figured I'd just jump right in there and hope for the best.

I must say, it seems to have worked. The only difference I can see right now is that the HP cake is lighter in color than the CPOP cake (no big deal once I add frosting). Since these are HP, they can be used right away!! I think I'll try a slice later :)

Comments

House of Burke said…
Very cool Sharon!! Your new cakes look scrumptious and 4 weeks off the cure time means quicker shop listings and the quicker I can buy them! :) lol
marsha said…
Seriously ... that is truly amazing! Your soaps are all looking so scrummy yummy and so gorgeous smorgeous!!!!! :)
Anonymous said…
Those cake soaps look good enough to eat! Mmmmm....
;)
Anonymous said…
Hey Look! You've been tagged! *See my blog for details*
;)
Falon and Aiden said…
I just thought I would throw out what I know about HP soaps (I used this first instead of doing CP first when I started making soaps). They tend to be softer, the longer they "air dry" the harder they get (and the longer they last when using them). It does mean you can use them right away, but they won't last as long. I always waited a week or two. One other thing, if you have a soap that is really soft due to superfatting and using materials that draw moisture it needs a little extra sit time because packaging it too soon can encourage mold (I did that once with a early on in my learning and I planned on giving out as Christmas presents!). You have truly beautiful soaps! Thanks for sharing!
Nanners said…
I'm going to have to read about HP again. I chose CP when I started several years ago and never looked back.

Popular Posts