Monday, September 3, 2007

Rebatching of the Botched

I've spent almost the entire weekend plotting soap projects. Some I've managed to complete with more success than others. One that I'm particularly pleased with, I created last night was a rebatch job, something I've been doing a lot lately.

Rebatching is where you make a batch of soap and for whatever reason you're not completely satisfied with the results ie. the color or scent isn't quite what you'd wanted. Instead of wasting it, I shred it up, and incorporate it into a brand new batch of soap and re-color or re-scent. Many soapers don't like to rebatch because the resulting bar is tends to be lumpy looking but I have a system now where I can get a nice smooth result- (see "what to call it?" post on 8/22) . I only rebatched those because although I LOVE the scent, some fragrance oils will always turn soap a dark brown due to the vanilla in it, this being one of them. It's something you just can't get around. I made a huge 6lb batch of this particular scent earlier this summer and as much as I tried to "pretty it up" with pink swirls on top, it wasn't having it (a bit like putting lipstick on a pig). So I broke down and rebatched some of it which resulted in not only my unamed soap of 8/22 but also, this beautiful cake! The left over soap from that pot was poured into my mini silicone bundt cake mold but because I waited so long to put it in the mold it started to harden and ended up lumpy looking which as it happens was a good thing because it actually looks like REAL CAKE!! Wouldn't this make a lovely birthday gift? It weighs over 10 oz, enough for 4 good sized hunks of soap.

9 comments:

Blaynexox said...

Oh boy! It looks delicious!! My favorite scents are birthday cake and pumpkin pie - so this looks wonderful to me! :)

LucindaC said...

That looks good enough to eat!

marsha said...

THAT's a SOAP?????????????? WOW!!!!! You my dear, are one AMAZING artist!!!!!!!!! It's FAB!

Krazy Kate Designs said...

When I first saw the picture, I thought it WAS a cake and started reading to get the recipe! Good job!

Sara's Texture Crafts said...

It really does look like cake! Sara x

Ivy Arts said...

What Krazy Kate said, I was ready with my fork in hand. Either way, sounds delicious to me.

Roxie's mama said...

pour some fake caramel on it!! yummo. great job!

Beth Lisa Goss, Wire Tree said...

Wow! These look soooo good!

Mikiye Creations said...

WOW!
I totally thought you baked a cake!
Of course when I read through I realized how fabulous your soap tuned out. It looks PERFECT!